Beyond The Grid
What if the power didn't go out during Hurricane Sandy?
The Beyond the Grid team is working with LES Ready to pilot an innovative resilient energy & communications network to serve the diverse needs of our Lower East Side community.
Beyond the Grid will power & connect community-based organizations, residential buildings and small businesses, retrofitted through sustainable design, to become resilient hubs of information and relief in crisis scenarios; our innovative use of green energy & communications technologies will enhance economic, environmental & social conditions in both crisis and fairweather scenarios.
Beyond the Grid Project Objectives
- Develop partnerships between residents, community-based organizations, small businesses and agencies, to establish a community-based resilient energy and communications network.
- Install energy efficient combined heating and power (CHP) systems to reduce carbon emissions that contribute to climate change; these systems can still operate in the event of a power outage.
- Strengthen communications using a community wireless network powered by green energy.
- Protect buildings from flooding and weather extremes.
- Provide important information to the community in times of crisis and fair weather.